Thursday, May 4, 2017

It's Good to Unplug

Teresa M. Clemons, Office Manager
I am sure you have heard that when a lamp, phone charger, toaster oven, or any electrical device is plugged into the receptacle, it is using energy – even if it is not in use.  Same thing with iPhones, iPads, and laptops.  Even when you are not using them, but they are within earshot, hands-reach, or you can see that bright colorful screen, it using YOUR energy.  And just as importantly, your valuable time.

I am not one to walk around with my phone at all times.  So, when I do not have it, I do not feel that I am missing an appendage, like some people I know.  I arrived back home mid-morning from church. It was Easter Sunday morning.  I left my purse in the car, which is where I usually keep my phone.  I had a wonderfully peaceful day with family and friends.  The celebration was over, my guests left around 7:30, and I began to clean up.  After everything was back in order and I began to prepare for Monday morning, I realized I did not have my phone and must have left it in the car.  Yes, there were many text messages with greetings for a Happy Easter, I had missed a call or two, and no, I did not know all the latest on Facebook updates.  But, what I did have was a day of uninterrupted time with my family and friends.  An immediate response does not mean that I do not care or respect the callers and the others who took the time to text me their warm wishes, but it gave me a day with my undivided attention belonging to the people who were with me in person.

I witness people who actually pause when they hear the “ding” or feel the vibration of their phone.  Even though they may not respond at that moment – which many people do – the curiosity of
wanting to know who is texting them is in their mind, bouncing around.  You can see it in people’s faces.  They are looking right at you, but they are not really paying attention to what you are saying because they are wondering what they are missing.  At least, that’s how it seems to me.

So “unplug” every once in a while, and enjoy the moment that you are in!