Thursday, June 22, 2017

Birthday Reflection


Barbara Armstrong, Paralegal
I am celebrating my birthday this wonderful month of June.  When my mother was alive, she would always make me an angel food cake with Jiffy frosting and strawberries and bring me fresh gladiolas from her garden.  It didn’t matter how old my siblings and I got- “Mama” would make our day special.

I know that as we get older, I hear a lot of my friends say that they no longer celebrate their birthday or simply choose to ignore it.  I, on the other hand, embrace it!  If anything, it reminds me of how lucky I am to be here.  I have my health.  I have a great job.  I have a wonderful home.  I am blessed to have a wonderful husband who, for reasons only known to him, adores me.  I have three wonderful children, an awesome daughter-in-law, and three beautiful granddaughters.   

I am lucky to be working for a woman who has not only taught me and mentored me along the way over the last nine years, but who I also call a dear friend.  My co-workers are exceptional!  I could not ask for better people to work with.  We all respect each other, are there for each other when needed, laugh and cry together, and we genuinely love each other. 

Over the years, I have established friendships along the way, and although we may not be in touch as often as we would like, we know that if anyone needed us, we are only a call away.

I enjoy spending time with my husband and our beagle.  During the days that we can, we love sitting out on the deck enjoying nature and each other’s company.  Although we grow older, we never stop dreaming.   


So, for those who don’t celebrate birthdays anymore, I implore you to revisit that choice and enjoy that birthday.  Life is good.