Monday, January 15, 2018

A Millennial's Perspective to Combating Phone Addiction

Elizabeth D. Johnson
Legal Assistant 
There are many things that differ between my generation and my mother’s but the one I’d like to discuss is the well-known smart phone obsession. My mother is a very smart woman but she just doesn’t get her phone like I do (no offense, mom). Honestly, she is lucky because it’s easier for her generation to shut down and step away from their “entire world in your pocket” device than it is for mine. The average person checks their phone 110-150 times per day! So, with that being said, how do I successfully cut back on cell phone usage and not start nervously twitching? Why do I even want to do this in the first place? Well, I’d like to see if I even can plus I’ve been using a smart phone for a good 10 years at least and my anxiety/stress have only gotten worse. Coincidence? Probably not.

So how do I actually do this? Where do I even begin? First things first, I’ve got to start with social media, i.e. Instagram, Facebook, and Snapchat. I have started setting up a shortcut that with three clicks of the home button, turns my screen black and white, hopefully making social media “less attractive”. Then, I will designate a certain time in the day to check my social media accounts. For example, when I get home from work the first thing I like to do is plop on the couch and scroll through everything, so that will be my Instagram and Snapchat time. Facebook is something I care less about since it really only connects me to the people I vaguely remember from high school. So, I will delete this app from my phone and check Facebook during my lunch break on a computer.

One tip I read about and may (or may not, let’s be real) try is to not use your phone as an alarm clock. I have my phone as my alarm clock now and therefore it is the first thing I touch in the morning and I see all of my text and social media notifications and lay in bed for 10 minutes longer than I need to just to check everything. Plus, an actual alarm clock set further away from the bed might motivate me to get up instead of staring into an abyss of what activities my friend’s brother’s cousin got into last night. Another tip that I came up with on my own, inspired by being in group chats and hearing a constant buzz or beep every 3 seconds, was to completely silence my phone if I’m not expecting any important calls or texts. I don’t even have the vibration on to really keep the annoyance at bay. I also have specific ringtones for people like my boyfriend and mom so that if I hear it go off I will know who it is and whether or not it may be urgent.


I don’t have the best history with completing projects such as the time I said I was going vegan and then bought a block of cheese the next day. So, I don’t think I’m going to do great with this project but if it helps me combat even a little bit of the obsession, then it was well worth it.